Global Education Center,Waseda University
Faculty Recruitment Information
The Global Education Center (GEC*) of Waseda University, a long-established private university located in central Tokyo, invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track** (or tenured) position in English Writing. The successful applicant is expected to teach academic English writing to both Japanese students and international students. We particularly welcome applications by those who are enthusiastic about the teaching of English writing for academic purposes. Waseda University has been designated as one of Japan’s top 13 global universities by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology. The appointment will be made at the rank of either Professor, Associate Professor, or Assistant Professor, beginning in September 2016 (orApril 2017).
*The GEC is an educational center that offers (i) basic academic literacy courses, (ii) language courses, and (iii) liberal arts courses to students from the various departments and schools ofWaseda University.
**A tenure-track position at the Global Education Center (GEC) of Waseda University runs for 5 years and is operated under a review process carried out at the beginning of the 4th year.
Academic Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
It is expected that the successful candidate will satisfy the following conditions:
(1) Be able to develop academic English writing programs.
- a) Develop textbooks for academic English writing courses at the GEC.
- b) Develop and improve teaching methods suitable for courses at the GEC.
(2) Be competent to teach academic English writing as well as general English courses.
- a) Teach academic English writing to Japanese and international students from the various departments and schools ofWaseda University.
Note: Preference will be given to those with prior teaching experience of relevant courses in English.
(3) Conduct academic research relating to the above.
(4) Administer academic English writing courses at the GEC.
- a) Train and manage graduate teaching associates/assistants at the GEC.
- b) Administer educational programs in cooperation with colleagues atWaseda University.
- c) Be competent to handle communication in English.
Note: Japanese language proficiency is not required, but some knowledge of Japanese language is preferred.
(5) Hold a doctoral degree (Ph.D.) or an equivalent professional accomplishment in applied linguistics, education or a related field.
(1) The salary will be determined based on the University salary table, of which candidates will be informed in the second round of interviews.
(2) Work Place: Waseda University campus in the Tokyo metropolitan area.
(a) Teaching load: Approximately 3 class periods per week (not 3 courses, but 3 class meetings per week; 1 class period is 90 minutes) for 15 weeks in each semester.
Note: The University has adopted a 2-semester (spring and fall) academic calendar.
(b) Other workload: Development of educational programs, writing textbooks, and training and management of graduate teaching assistants/associates.
(4) Required to be at the University 4 days a week, working 8 hours a day on average.
(5) An individual research allowance of ¥210,000 and academic conference travel subsidy of ¥90,000 per academic year will be given by the University. An extra subsidy (¥110,000) is available for conferences outside Japan. (Conditions apply.)
In addition, each faculty member is eligible to apply for research funding available from the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research), as well as for research funding within Waseda University. (Conditions apply).
(6) In the future, the GEC may develop an academic minor in teaching writing in English for academic purposes at the graduate level. In such a case, the candidate hired for this position will likely be asked to teach/supervise graduate students who would like to be trained in teaching academic English writing.
(7) Carry out tasks deemed important by either the GEC or the University.
(1) Faculty Employment Application Document.
Template forms： https://waseda.box.com/facultyrecruitmentaew
(2) Curriculum vitae in English with a list of academic/professional accomplishments.
Template forms: https://waseda.box.com/facultyrecruitmentaew
(3) Proof of award of a doctoral degree (copy of a diploma or degree certificate issued by the graduate school of the university from which the applicant received the doctoral degree). If the candidate has no doctoral degree, proof of the highest academic degree earned must be submitted.
(4) Summary of educational achievements and a sample syllabus for a course of academic English writing for advanced students.
(5) Summary of academic research achievements and a plan for future research in the applicant’s main research area.
(6) A photocopy and/or an offprint of three major publications (books, articles, academic papers, etc.).
(7) At least two sealed letters of recommendation.
Note: To prevent a postal mishap, please enclose the letters of recommendation with your application materials. If your referees wish to send letters directly (via postal mail or email), please add their contact details to your curriculum vitae.
(8) All application materials must be typed in English.
The deadline for application: April 20, 2016
Note: All the application materials should be received by the GEC by the date above.
Procedure of the Search Committee
Note: Applicants will be informed of the results of the document screening by May 11, 2016.
-A first interview with the search committee that includes a mock English writing class, academic research presentation, and question and answer session with the search committee.
Note: Only in cases where a candidate has to fly from overseas to attend the interview will the GEC provide roundtrip airfare and hotel accommodation. Domestic travel expenses are not available.
-A second interview with the Director of the GEC.
Rank of Appointment
When a position is offered, the rank of the position (professor/associate professor/assistant professor) as well as status of the appointment (tenure-track or tenured) will be determined by educational and academic research achievement, performance in the selection procedure, and other factors. The successful applicant will be informed of the position decided and its concomitant salary when the selection procedure is complete.
Address to which all application materials should be sent
Prof. Aiji Tanaka
Director, Global Education Center
1-104 Totsuka-machi, Shinjuku, Tokyo 169-8050, Japan
Note: On the envelope, please write “Application for Faculty Position at GEC 2016.”
All documents must be sent by an express mail (FedEx, DHL, etc.).
Documents submitted by hand cannot be accepted.
All inquiries should be made by email only to email@example.com
The institutional URL is
Waseda University is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty in order to promote globalization and gender equality on campus. In all matters related to faculty recruitment and promotion, the University prohibits any form of discrimination on the basis of national origin, gender, religion, creed, political affiliation, or disability.