A position as copy-editor for Language Learning is available, to start from early September 2019. (Some work may be available sooner).
This role requires an exceptional eye for detail in written English language and the ability to address all formatting issues following APA 6th Edition.
Also highly desirable are:
• experience of publishing and/or copy-editing academic language-related research publications;
• the potential to understand the articles in depth in order to edit argumentation for clarity and coherence;
• a solid understanding of statistical methods and reporting;
• a post-graduate qualification (ideally but not necessarily a PhD) in one or more of the following areas: linguistics, psychology, education, or languages other than English.
The copy-editor would work in close collaboration with the Journal Editor, Prof. Emma Marsden. The work will be suitable for someone working on a flexible basis, perhaps from home, who is able to accommodate the peaks and troughs of editorial work for a journal. The work would be paid at £24 per hour on delivery of each copy-edited manuscript. On average over the whole year, about 6 or 7 hours work per week is envisaged, with considerable variability. As a rough guide, one manuscript will require copy-editing every two to three weeks, and each manuscript plus related documents can take between 8 – 20 hours to copy-edit.
Please send Expressions of Interest to email@example.com by 9am on 6th August with:
• A Cover Letter, max 2 sides, single-spaced, explaining how the work would suit your experience and schedule, and confirming that you would be available for this work for at least one year.
• A CV detailing experience, training, and qualifications.
• The names and contact details of two referees who could comment on your copy-editing and academic writing skills.
Please address any enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org